“Teacher, which is the great commandment in the Law?” And He said to him, “‘You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind.’ This is the great and foremost commandment. The second is like it, ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ On these two commandments depend the whole Law and the Prophets.” ~ Matthew 22:36-40
There are probably different definitions of discipleship and what it means to disciple your children. The way I think of it, it is the daily teaching and demonstrating to your kids how to love God and love others. It is helping them learn to walk in the way of Jesus and keep His commands.
This is the primary responsibility of parents who love the Lord. If you love your chidden and want what’s best for them, discipling them will be important to your parenting vision as well as the ins and outs of daily life.
These words, which I am commanding you today, shall be on your heart. You shall teach them diligently to your sons and shall talk of them when you sit in your house and when you walk by the way and when you lie down and when you rise up. ~ Deuteronomy 6:6-7
- Humility – Face it, you are a disciple of Christ and therefore still learning and growing. You don’t have all the answers. Humility in your parenting and teaching is critical to success. God is using you as a tool to raise up the kids He has entrusted you with. Let’s not lord that over them!
- Priority – As I said before, this is a top priority for you as a parent. That means that it necessitates intentional planning, prayer, study, and wise counsel. It also takes daily priority. Academics and the state of the house pale in comparison to the chance to teach your child to be kind when the moment arises.
- Form Heart Strings – Play with your children. Become students of them, knowing their dreams and preferences. Delight in them and do those special one on one times with them that form lasting bonds. I realize more and more how important this is. I want my kids to know that I love them, enjoy them, appreciate them, and that I am FOR them.
- Diligent Teaching - It’s important that daily life includes activities such as family Bible study, scripture memory, worship, and other things that teach about who God is and how to live for Him. We do this using our Sound Words curriculum and various Bible studies and devotions throughout the week.
- Seize Heart Opportunities - Every day, you will have at least several opportunities to slow down with your child and take a look at the heart behind his behavior and attitudes, whether good or bad. This takes time, but it is the daily grind of discipleship. We point them to what God’s Word says about it and how to follow His ways.
- Doorposts – Pretty much anything by them, but especially For Instruction in Righteousness and their parenting charts (in the giveaway!)
- The Child Training Bible – we use this and the Virtue Training Bible nearly every day! It’s a system for marking character issues in the Bible for quick reference. (in the giveaway!)
- Bible Road Trip – A wonderful 3-year program for teaching kids of all ages the Bible in-depth. We hope to use this in the coming year! (in the giveaway!)
- Character Concepts – they have several books, but our favorites are the Character Trails and Crossroads of Character. The kids ask to read them all the time!
- Educating the Wholehearted Child by Clay and Sally Clarkson
- Family Driven Faith: Doing What it Takes to Raise Sons and Daughters Who Walk With God by Voddie Baucham
- Shepherding a Child’s Heart by Tedd Tripp
- Don’t Make Me Count to Three by Ginger Plowman
- Bible Road Trip Year One Curriculum – The newly bundled curriculum by Danika Cooley. Includes your choice of notebooking journal based on grade level.
- The ABCs for Godly Children – From Lindsey Stomberg of TheRoadto31.com. Includes basic doctrine and theology, character and virtue studies, copywork, flash cards, games and more!
- Exodus 20:1-21 Family Bundle (ESV or KJV) – From Intoxicated on Life. Incudes Christ in the Commandments Bible study, manuscript and cursive handwriting workbooks, and memory cards.
Available in the US and Canada. Giveaway open through 4/17 and has 48 hours to respond before a new winner is chosen.
a Rafflecopter giveaway
More “5 Days of” from the Schoolhouse Review Crew
Several bloggers from the Schoolhouse Review Crew are doing a 5-day series this week as well! Check out a handful of great reads below or click the image to browse all of the crew series.
Nicole @ Journey to Excellence ~ Missouri
Dusty @ To the Moon and Back ~ Babywearing
Kristi @ The Potter’s Hand Academy ~ Spring Studies
Jennifer @ Royal Little Lambs ~ Essential Oils
Annette @ A Net in Time ~ Science
Jen @ Happy Little Homemaker ~ Frugal Fitness
Meg @ Adventures with Jude ~ Homeschooling from the Kitchen
Lori @ At Home: where life happens ~ Favorite Books
Linking up with these great blogs.
If you would like to have Proverbial Homemaker delivered to your inbox, click here: Subscribe to Proverbial Homemaker. Or join us on Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest.
Follow my blog with Bloglovin