Disclosure: *This post may include affiliate links. As an affiliate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Read the disclosures and terms for more information.
Our kids go banannas about banannas, so we always have a lot of them in our house. Enough for smoothies, snacks, and the occasional banana bread.
I recently found a good whole wheat banana bread recipe and modified it to cut out the refined sugar. I do realize that the addition of chocolate makes the “healthy” claim dubious. But what about antioxidants? And emotional well being? I vote that it’s healthy. 😉
All the kids and adults in the house love this bread for breakfasts and snacks!
Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 2 eggs
- 2 ripe bananas
- 1/3 cup plain yogurt (I use greek)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips (or dark chocolate chips or walnuts)
- Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a bowl and set aside.
- Combine the honey, butter, eggs, bananas, yogurt, and extract in a mixer and mix on medium until the bananas are fairly well combined with the other ingredients. Do not over mix. Bumps and lumps are good.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix until just combined.
- Add the chocolate chips and mix until they are well distributed in the batter.
- Pour the batter into an oiled bread pan and bake at 350 for 60-70 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes before slicing.
This recipe doubles well, and the bread can be frozen for later use by wrapping in plastic wrap and a plastic bag.
- Whole Wheat Banana Bread from 100 Days of Real Food
- Healthier Banana Bread from Allrecipes
- Crackly Banana Bread (with millet) from Smitten Kitchen
This Post Has 3 Comments
annette @ A Net In Time22 May 2013
sounds good. 🙂
I’d have to make without the chocolate chips.
Sarah Avila22 May 2013
This sounds good! Pinning it!!
Carla at Preschool Powol Packets24 May 2013
This looks so yummy, and I love whole wheat! Pinning!!