October 31st is a time to remember the Reformation. On this day in 1517, Martin Luther nailed his ninety-five Theses to the door of the Castle Church in Wittenberg, in protest against the abuse of indulgences in the teaching and practice of the Church. It is worth remembering because the message he (and the scripture) communicated is so essential: Salvation cannot be purchased by anything but the blood of Christ – we are saved by grace alone, through faith alone, in Christ alone.
Our family has yet to do much to learn about and commemorate Reformation Day, but this year that will change. Just last year, the 500th anniversary Luther nailed the 95 Theses to the Castle Church door, our family started learning more about Reformation Day.
Two things held me back before jumping in to teach my kids about Reformation Day. First, I didn’t know enough myself. Second, I wasn’t sure how to make it fun!
So last year I gathered my resources, started reading a fantastic book to my kids, and worked with our contributor Stacey to put together a fun printable pack for us all to use!
Ways to Make Reformation Day Fun and Educational
I have four great resources for you that will help you make Reformation Day fun and educational for your family!
1) When Lightning Struck: The Story of Martin Luther by Danika Cooley. Go buy this now! I started reading this myself to learn more about Martin Luther and Reformation Day and it was SO good that I started over and began reading it out loud to my kids! It’s a perfect one to read during October but can be fantastic learning any time of year. You can also download this FREE discussion guide to use with your kids as you read it!
2) FREE Extensive 12-Week Unit Study for Middle & High School Kids. If you have older kids, be sure to download our FREE 12-week Martin Luther unit study written by the author of When Lightning Struck!
3) Reformation Day Fun Printable Pack for Ages 2-9! Use our Reformation Day printable pack for a fun way to teach about this historic event! See all the details and screenshots below for more info.
4) Make an Event of It with A Night of Reformation – Doorposts has put together a binder of everything you need to put on your choice of four different Reformation celebrations! If you’re looking for an engaging and memorable way to replace Halloween activities entirely in your home, group, or church, this is an amazing resource!
5. Hand Out Reformation Info and Bibles for Trick or Treaters – I LOVE this idea from The Principled Academy! They decorated their porch for the time period and set out candy with information about the Reformation wrapped around it to educate people, along with Bibles for people to take for free!
Our Reformation Day Fun Printable Pack
I can’t wait to use this with my kiddos this year! In this Reformation Day printable pack, our children will learn about Martin Luther, his Theses, the five Solas and more.
This massive 131-page printable pack includes a variety of fun activities for children ages 2 to 9. The activities included are:
- Alphabet Matching Cards – These are great for learning the lowercase and uppercase letters of the alphabet.
- Vocabulary Cards – these are great for memory/matching games as well as spelling and vocabulary.
- Word Tracing– These pages help children learn to form letters and spell words correctly.
- I Spy– These pages are great for counting practice.
- Colour Matching Cards– A great way for kids to learn their colours.
- Shadow Matching Cards– These shadow matching cards are so much fun and can be used in games such as memory/matching as well.
- Number Puzzles – These are great for learning skip counting.
- Size Sequencing Cards– Match the cards from smallest to biggest or the other way round.
- What Comes Next?
- Finish the Pattern
- Story Writing Pages – These can be used to retell the story of Martin Luther and his 95 Theses in their own words.
- Spot and Dot – Spot the letters and then dot them.
- Colouring Pages– Decorate or colour as you wish and hang up to decorate your rooms.
- Count and Clip Cards– These are great for kids learning to count and recognize numbers.
- Cross Puzzle
- Cross Maze
- Cross Shade and Cut
- Cross Connect the Dots
- Cross Stained Glass coloring page
- Martin Luther Page
- Luther’s Rose / Seal coloring activity
- The Five Solas activity
- The 95 Theses Scroll Printable
- Hymn – A Mighty Fortress is Our God Copywork Activity
- Scripture Cards
- Bible Copywork Pages– This pack includes 13 pages of Bible Verses in both King James and English Standard Versions for your child to copy and then memorise.