Disclosure: *This post may include affiliate links. As an affiliate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Read the disclosures and terms for more information.
Curried lentils and rice is a really delicious meal that is frugal, gluten free, includes good protein, and makes a great lunch for guests. It goes great with the cool and sweet apple and spinach salad shown, the recipe for which is included below.
It’s good! I want to remember this one for the future!
Curried Lentils and Rice
- 1/2 medium yellow onion
- 2+ cloves diced garlic
- 4 cups veggie or chicken broth
- 2 cups lentil rice mix (or 1.5 c rice with .5 cup lentils)
- 1+ tbsp curry, to taste (1 add 2-3 tbsp)
- 1 tsp turmeric (optional)
- 1/2 tsp ginger (optional)
- salt to taste
- Sauté onions and garlic until soft.
- Add rice mix and broth and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to simmering and add remaining ingredients.
- Cover and simmer about 20-30 minutes until rice is tender and liquid absorbed. Add water 1 cup at a time if longer cooking time is needed.
Variation: Add dried cranberries or currants to the last 10 minutes of cooking.
Apple and Spinach Salad
- 2 apples (I used fuji)
- 1-2 cups spinach, chopped into strips
- 2-4 tbsp plain yogurt
- juice from 1/2 medium lemon
- 1 tsp marjoram
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1/2 tsp garlic salt or salt
- chopped celery (optional)
- roasted walnuts (optional)
- Combine all ingredients.
- Cover and chill in the refrigerator for at least an hour.
Linking up with these great blogs.
If you would like to have Proverbial Homemaker delivered to your inbox, click here: Subscribe to Proverbial Homemaker. Or join us on Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest.
Follow my blog with Bloglovin
This Post Has One Comment
TaMara Sloan16 Mar 2014
These both look great. Thanks for sharing at Food on Friday!