So do not fear, for I am with you;
do not be dismayed, for I am your God.
I will strengthen you and help you;
I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.
Like most women, I struggle in frustration with the unreachable ideals I set before me. I have an idea of what the perfect “me” would be – the perfect wife and mom. She is somewhat cobbled together from women I’ve known, ones I’ve read about, ones on TV or imagined. I set myself up against someone that doesn’t exist.
But God has created me with certain strengths and weaknesses and a certain personality. And I fit perfectly with the things He has called me to. That is the reality. The challenge is living in it.
What kinds of things cause me fear, anxiety or worry?
- Failing as a mom and wife
- Kids will suffer because of my weaknesses
- Kids will turn away from me
- Kids will turn away from God
- Not doing enough
- Not being enough
What ideals have I created that I need to let go of?
- Being a perfect mom and wife
- Always looking good
- Always being cheerful
- Always having a clean house
- Always having an organized space
- Always knowing what I’m doing
- Always having a good day
- Being kind and gentle to my kids
- Being full of grace for myself and my family
- Growing in knowledge
- Always pointing to Jesus
- Being a woman of prayer and of the Word
- Clinging to God in the good times and bad
- Creating a safe and life-giving home
- My kids knowing that they’re loved and cherished
- My husband knowing that he is respected and deeply loved
- Having a Christ-centered family
- Valuing genuine, authentic relationship with each other and God
Do YOU have any ideals that you need to let go of?