Yesterday I made waffles for dinner, thinking I’d double the batch as usual and save some for toaster breakfasts.
Once again, the kids ate almost all of the waffles! I always forget how much they love these. And I love them because they are healthy!
Whole Wheat Zucchini Waffles
(Adapted from this recipe.)
- 2 eggs (or flax eggs*)
- 1 3/4 cup milk (we used almond)
- 1/4 cup oil (olive, vegetable, coconut, etc)
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups shredded zucchini (unpeeled), water pressed out
- These need a bit more oil on the iron to unstick and you will probably need to cook them to a darker brown than you’re used to. They still taste great.
- I have started using flax “eggs.” At first that was because I ran out of eggs, but I’ve decided to continue making them that way because the inside can stay rather gooey even though the outside is well done, and I don’t want to worry about any undercooked egg.
Linking up with these great blogs.