Disclosure: *This post may include affiliate links. As an affiliate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Read the disclosures and terms for more information.
A while ago I wrote about our decision to try a gluten free diet after reading Weeding Out Wheat by Luke and Trisha Gilkerson. So, off I set to find some easy recipes to build up a dinner rotation that was gluten free with dairy free options as well.
Are you a GF newbie too? Here are some resources and dinner ideas that might help you out!
- Intoxicated on Life recipes
- Weeding Out Wheat support group on Facebook
- Pinterest searches! Here’s my growing board called The GF Experiment
- Book: Gluten-Free and Dairy-Free for the Frugal and Lazy Cook by Heather Demeritte
- Book: Special Diet Solutions: Healthy Cooking Without Wheat, Gluten, Dairy, Eggs, Yeast or Refined Sugar by Carol Fenster, PhD
Convenience Food Blessings
(eventually I’ll make my own)
- Bob’s Red Mill mixes, especially the cornbread
- All-purpose gluten-free flour from Costco
- GF cookie dough from Pillsbury
- GF pizza from Dominoes
- GF chicken and beef bullion cubes
- Earth Balance Soy-Free butter substitute (it really tastes as good as butter!)
- Marinara and spaghetti sauce (check the ingredients) use liberally with rice pasta!
Our Growing Dinner Rotation
My recipe criteria: easy, husband-approved, and only a few “new” ingredients for now. That means that I looked for naturally gluten free meals, easily modified recipes, and purchased a few pre-made mixes/products.
Here are the meals that we have tried out and enjoyed enough to add to our regular meal rotation.
- Easy Confetti Rice
- Roast wrapped asparagus with roasted potatoes and salad
- GF Swedish meatballs with veggies and salad (simplified this recipe)
- GF meatballs with marinara sauce, rice pasta, and salad/veggies
- GF Red beans and sausage with rice
- GF/DF Shepherd’s pie (recipe to come)
- Crock pot whole chicken with rosemary potatoes and veggies
- GF Minestrone (using rice shell pasta)
- Chili with GF cornbread (Bob’s Red Mill GF cornbread mix)
- Teriyaki chicken (using GF teriyaki sauce) with brown rice
- Coconut chicken curry and brown rice
- Baked potato bar and veggies
- Nachos or corn shell tacos with beef, beans, or chicken
- GF hamburger goulash (using rice pasta)
- GF Meatloaf with salad and veggies
What are your favorite easy gluten-free and/or dairy-free meals?
Follow Tauna Meyer (ProverbialHomemaker.com)’s board Gluten-Free Recipes on Pinterest.
This Post Has 4 Comments
Alison Williams14 Feb 2014
We aren’t completely gluten-free, but we have cut way back and eat a lot of nachos, tacos, & chilis (red, white, & green), which are all gluten-free meals.
Tauna M1 Mar 2014
Thanks Alison! I love Mexican food and am SO glad that it’s a big source of good gluten free meals!
Liz14 Oct 2014
How about simple? Baked lemon pepper fish, quinoa, and a side salad! 🙂 Or vegan crockpot chili. Or spinach coconut curry? Love that you’re highlighting gluten-free eating, but if doesn’t have to be complicated, time-consuming, or so meat-heavy.
Tauna14 Oct 2014
😀 I appreciate your suggestions, but for us fish is out, and our recipes are just as simple and quick as the ones you suggested (they’d have to be for ME to use them!). We actually do vegan crockpot chili ourselves. We happen to like meat and so this was our list of easy recipes to transition to GF, although we do vegetarian about 3x/week.