Whenever I get a bunch of ground beef, I make up one or two batches of these meatballs to freeze. Adding the oatmeal stretches the meat and tastes great. A few times, I have added flax meal or carrot puree with good results as well.
Freezing them raw allows them to be used in a variety of different ways later:
- Bake them for an hour in a pan if frozen (30 min if thawed). Add a sauce like tomato, sweet and sour, or bbq for the last 15 minutes.
- Thaw and combine into a bread pan for meatloaf.
- Thaw and break into pieces to pan fry for casseroles, tacos, spaghetti sauce, etc.
Make-Ahead Meatballs Recipe
- 3 lbs ground beef
- 2 c oatmeal
- 3 eggs
- 1 c evaporated milk or regular milk
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp pepper
- 2 tsp chili powder (optional)
Mix all together and form into meatballs about the size of a small handful. Freeze on a tray and then transfer to a freezer bag.
You Might Also Like: